Skip to Content
Schedule your Case Evaluation

Extended TPS Registration for Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone Nationals


The initial deadline for those nationals from Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone who qualify for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) of May 20 2015 has been extended to August 18 2015 by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Eligible applicants from these countries ought to apply quickly.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) began accepting applications for TPS in late November of last year when the DHS announced an 18-month TPS designation for qualified applicants to receive a stay on any removal proceedings. For those whose applications were returned based on the original May 20 2015 deadline, you can now resubmit them to the USCIS by August 18.

Who is eligible?

Eligibility depends on properly demonstrating you meet the criteria necessary including that you have been "continuously residing" in the U.S. since November 21 2014 and have been continuously physically present in the U.S. since November 21 2014. Applicants will need to go through security checks and those with certain criminal records or constitute a national security threat will not be eligible for TPS.

Further, if you are a Liberian national who is currently covered by the two-year extension of Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) based on President Obama's September 26 2014 memorandum, you can still apply for TPS. DED-covered Liberian nationals who have an EAD or have applied for one do not need to apply for another EAD related to this TPS designation.

On the other hand, if granted TPS, you can request a TPS-related EAD later one so long as the TPS designation for Liberia is still in effect.

In order to register you will need to submit the following:

  • Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status and application fee
  • Biometrics services fee if you are 14 years old or older
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization whether or not you want an EAD
  • Form I-765 application fee or fee-waiver, only if you want an EAD; otherwise no fee is needed

If you are unable to pay the necessary fee you can request the USCIS to waive them. You will need to file the Form I-912 Request for Fee Waiver or submit a written request, along with supporting documentation. Your TPS application will be rejected if the filing fees or proper fee-waiver request is absent.

For more information about TPS, call a Dallas Immigration attorney from Mathur Law Offices, P.C.