Skip to Content
Schedule your Case Evaluation

I Have a DWI on My Record - Will That Effect Getting a U.S. Visa?


Fortunately, simply having a conviction for a single DWI will not make it impossible for you to get into the U.S.

With that being said, however, you do have to pass a medical exam by a doctor in your country prior to entering the United States. What does this have to do with your drunk driving offense? When receiving this medical exam, the doctor will look at the state of your health related to any potential abuse, including any abuse related to alcohol. They will look to see if you have a history of harmful behavior that may be associated with this issue that could eventually pose a threat to yourself or others.

When applying for an immigrant visa, this medical exam is required. Even if you are applying for a nonimmigrant visa or temporary visa, it is highly likely that the U.S. consulate in your country will refer you to have a medical exam taken upon seeing a DUI/DWI conviction on your record. It is ultimately up to the civil surgeon (doctor) to decide whether or not you are suitable for the visa and you will not be able to review their report of your exam.

What if I do not pass my medical exam?

If for any reason you are unable to gain admittance to the U.S. you may be able to apply for a waiver. For the best result possible, it is highly advised that you have an accomplished immigration attorney by your side through this process.

Call Mathur Law Offices, P.C., located in Dallas, Texas, for the qualified immigration defense you need if you have been accused of a DUI. Do not let actions in the past prevent you from your future!