What Is Contempt?

Information from a Dallas Divorce Attorney

In a divorce case, contempt means that one former spouse fails to adhere to a court order that was issued in the divorce proceedings. If you are the victim of such a former spouse or partner, our firm's Dallas divorce attorneys can help you in pursuing legal action to get compliance. If you are the person who is charged with contempt, there can be circumstances where the charge is not valid or enforceable, due to such situations as the decree itself containing errors, or it was worded in such a way that you did not understand it, or other mitigating circumstances. With decades of experience, the Mathur Law Offices, P.C. is equipped with the skills and legal knowledge to help.

Going through a divorce is almost always a very stressful, emotional experience. Your life undoubtedly has changed significantly. When one spouse does not comply with court orders, it adds a tremendous layer of distress to the whole situation. Has your former spouse or partner refused to allow you to see your children? Perhaps he or she is not fulfilling financial obligations, such as co-pays or medical expenses of the child, or child support ordered by the court. Did he or she refuse to pay alimony? Or maybe the former spouse or partner sold an asset, such as a car, which was awarded by the court to you. Child support can be a very complex issue, and if one party is guilty of not paying child support, consulting an attorney is often necessary.

Texas Penalties for Contempt

Being convicted of contempt can lead to penalties that include fines, jail, probation, and even seizure of property. The court can order makeup visitation when one parent did not allow the other to visit the child. In this case, the court can order the offending parent to allow for the missed visitations, or the parent could lose primary custody. Further, laws exist which allow the court to suspend the former spouse's driver's license or any professional license. This alone can sometimes stop the violation(s) altogether, as the person could not work without a license. These laws can also garnish wages and place liens against bank accounts. You must obtain the permission of the court when you wish to make any changes to the divorce decree, including child custody or child visitation, even if the two individuals involved agree upon the changes. Otherwise, one or both individuals can be found in contempt.

How the Mathur Law Offices, P.C., Can Help You

If you think that your former spouse or partner is in violation of your divorce decree, child support or child custody, or if you have been charged with violating judgments set out by the courts, it is advised that you contact a divorce attorney in Dallas to look into the matter. We can review the decree to determine if the provisions in it are enforceable. We have considerable experience in successfully handling these matters, and we are very familiar with resolving them efficiently and thoroughly. Contact the Mathur Law Offices, P.C. to learn more about your case.

  • Dear Mr. Mathur: I want to thank you and Anamika at Mathur Law Offices in representing me in my divorce case and getting me the desired result. They are very trustworthy and put in effort and time to understand your legal needs to achieve the best for you. I highly recommend them.

Mathur Law Offices, P.C. - Dallas Family Law Attorney
Located at
2989 N. Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247. View Map

Phone: (888) 867-5191 | Local Phone: (214) 378-8880
Stay In Touch:

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship