Skip to Content
Schedule your Case Evaluation
Equity in Justice

Termination of Parental Rights in Dallas

Compassionate Legal Assistance Addressing Your Parent-Child Relationship

When a child is born, the mother and father assume certain rights based on their roles as the child’s parents. With these rights and privileges, however, come certain responsibilities and expectations. When a parent is unwilling or unable to do what is required of them, they may seek, or be forced, to relinquish their parental rights.

Termination of parental rights is a crucial component of many family law cases, including adoption, step-parent adoption, grandparents’ rights, and protective orders. Our Dallas attorneys are available to offer compassionate assistance in voluntary and involuntary cases of termination of parental rights.

Contact Mathur Law Offices, P.C. today to discuss your case.

Voluntary and Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights in Dallas

Parental rights could either be willingly relinquished or compulsorily terminated. Parents may seek to end the parent-child relationship in effort to stop paying child support. In other cases, the court may get involved to strip one’s parental rights because they are endangering the child, such as by:

  • Abandoning the child
  • Committing acts of domestic violence
  • Engaging in criminal conduct
  • Failing to adhere to court orders
  • Placing the child in dangerous conditions
  • Using alcohol or drugs during pregnancy, causing the child to be born addicted

There are several additional acts that could justify a termination of parental rights.

One or both parents’ rights could be terminated if the court finds that it is in the best interest of the child. However, even when one or both parents is voluntarily giving up their parental rights, the parent-child relationship is not officially terminated until a judge signs a court order.

Filing a Termination of Parental Rights Case

A number of individuals in a child’s life could file a termination of parental rights case, including:

  • A child-placing agency
  • A governmental entity
  • A guardian or attorney ad litem acting on behalf of the child
  • A man claiming to be the child’s father
  • Department of Family and Protective Services
  • Prospective adoptive parents with a statement to confer standing
  • Someone other than a foster parent who cared for the child for at least six months and files the case no more than 90 days since the care ended
  • Someone with court-ordered visitation privileges
  • The child’s foster parent, so long as they cared for the child for at least 12 months and filed the termination case no more than 90 days since the end of their fostering
  • The child’s grandparents, great-grandparents, sibling, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew, so long as both parents are dead, the parents agree, or the child’s current circumstances would cause them great harm
  • The child’s parents
  • The guardian of the child or the child’s estate

Any individual or entity named above is encouraged to voice their concerns if they feel the child’s best interest is being neglected.

What Does a Termination of Parental Rights Case Decide?

Termination of parental rights cases can accomplish a number of objectives beyond ending the parent-child relationship. The court process can:

  • Change a child’s name
  • End a child’s right to inherit from or through the parent
  • End a parent’s obligation to pay child support
  • End a parent’s right to custody and visitation
  • Appoint a possessory conservator
  • Appoint a managing conservator

The court can also resolve issues specific to a given case. Our lawyers can help you understand the extent to which a termination of parental rights case can address your concerns.

Alternatives to Termination of Parental Rights

If a judge finds that terminating parental rights is not in the best interest of the child, a parent may still seek a modification of the parent-child relationship. Modifications could help address:

  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Visitation

The court could adjust the parent’s involvement in the child’s life while ensuring the child’s best interest is met.

Mathur Law Offices, P.C. has over two decades of experience helping Dallas families with their legal affairs. Trust us to help you with yours. Call us to get started: (888) 867-5191.

What to Expect From Mathur Law Offices, P.C.

  • Compassionate and Genuine Service
  • A Team With Unmatched Experience and Versatility
  • Personalized, Unwavering Commitment to You
  • An Emphasis on Making Your Needs Our Top Priority
  • A Legal Team With a Wide Breadth of Legal Knowledge

Trusted Recommendations From Our Cients

    "Your team's meticulous attention to detail, prompt communication, and compassionate approach have truly made a positive impact on my experience."
    - S.S.
    "I came looking for a lawyer but walking out gaining a friend for life."
    - J.M.
    "My excitement was really elevated, the very first meeting l had with Julio."
    - T.M.
    - Lupe Flores
    - SK
    - Naga C
    - Bhavesh

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy